Ranked "Top 30" in parenting blogs to follow!

Saturday, November 5, 2016

Tiffany's Revisited...

Elisabeth really enjoyed Chicago last week.

We spent a good deal of time hiking down Michigan visiting the museums, Navy Pier, and stores. Oh the many, many stores. One store Elisabeth visited was Tiffany and Company because her grandmother wanted to price one of the charm bracelets there.

I told my mother, "You know what they say about Tiffany's, don't you? If you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford  it."

Elisabeth disagreed, so in we went right about breakfast time. All six of us. Elisabeth's mother, sister, grandmother, auntie, and cousin looking more like we were hiking through Glacier Park and observing rock formations instead of the "Million Dollar Mile."

As it turned out, the girls were fascinated with the jewelry and one can always dream, right? But halfway through the visit, Elisabeth was becoming very irritated so I headed to the restrooms three levels up to check it out.

As it turned out, Elisabeth needed the facilities and fortunately Tiffany's restrooms were more than accommodating for her needs. To be safe and spare a Tiffany shopper from embarrassment, I asked Elisabeth's eleven year old sister to stand guard at the door to prevent anyone from walking in on us.

It was taking a little longer than I expected but I overheard on the other side of the door, a woman's voice inquiring why it was necessary to guard the door. Elisabeth's younger sister responded by saying "my mom is in there with my sister and they need a little privacy. She should only be a moment." After a few moments, I overheard the woman whose patience was wearing thin I imagined asking my daughter, "How old is your sister?"

"Fourteen."

Silence.

"Oh."

I suppose this stumped the woman but she either continued to wait instead of barging in like so many people do after their curiosities get the best of them or she simply moved on because I didn't hear anything else afterward.

After Elisabeth was ready, I opened the door and found standing next to my daughter a woman wearing business attire and sporting a store manager's badge. She smiled at Elisabeth and me, helped me with the door, and went her separate way.

I couldn't imagine in a million years what was going on in that woman's mind while she was standing there and waiting to use the bathroom. A bathroom that was being guarded by an an eleven year old who offered nothing more than a simple request for her to wait because a 14 year old sister needed privacy. In Tiffany and Co.'s restroom of all places.

And this woman waited patiently giving Elisabeth the dignity and privacy she deserved not because she was a shopper at Tiffany's, not because she was disabled, but because she is a human being.

1 comment:

IIAHP THERAPY CENTER said...

special needs children are diagnosed based upon these frightening or bizarre symptoms. Rather they should be diagnosed based upon a thorough evaluation of the brain. A symptomatic diagnosis leads to treatment of the symptom, thereby ignoring the underlying problem that resides within the brain itself.