Ranked "Top 30" in parenting blogs to follow!

Thursday, August 3, 2006

Who Stole the Cookie for the Cookie Jar?

No Child Left Behind and Ohio Proficiency Test: Who Took the Cookie from the Cookie Jar?

A few days ago, I received in the mail Elisabeth's report card from the State of Ohio. Not only is she beyond proficient in math, science, reading, spelling, and social studies, she is perfect. She scored a "perfect" on the State of Ohio's Proficiency examination.

I've been thinking about contacting Governor Taft to congratulate him for his success in providing a testing mechanism that can accurately define and measure the proficiency level for all children with varying learning abilities, disorders, disabilities, and delays throughout the State of Ohio. I had no idea Elisabeth's strengths were cognition driven. In fact, when she was born I was informed by the head of neurology that this part of her brain was "disconnected."

I'm sure the research staff at the University of California in SF will also be amazed since it was only last week when they suggested we take a non declarative approach in addressing her needs. Do I dare suggest that maybe the research for Elisabeth's diagnosis is on the wrong track. too, and that they should consider hopping on the O.D.E.'s bandwagon?

I suppose President Bush is due for a big "thank you" as well since "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" legislation was the driving force for introducing proficiency testing in Ohio. This is how they both got their current jobs in government. Both of their big ideas would provide a cost savings to tax payers from shifting the financial burden of operating public schools onto local school districts leaving both the Federal and State with no other responsibility except for providing reading programs for two years, lunches for kids, and proficiency testing.

Are there Nobel Prizes for Cookie Jar Economics and Proficiency Tests? President Bush should be nominated for his "bait and switch" talent with Cookie Jars. Governor Taft, on the other hand, should be commended for investing the money he saved for tax payers by putting it into the antiquities market.

In the meantime, Elisabeth and I are going to have a heart to heart discussion tonight about why she's been holding out on me all these years. Had I known she was beyond proficient, I would have considered science or math camp this summer or I would have asked her to spell out for me why she hasn't talked to me for the past 12 years.

posted by Elisabeth's Mom @ 6:28 AM 1 comments
Wednesday, June 28, 2006

No comments: